Get ready to feed the homeless during Shelter Week 2022!
GPUMC is gearing up for our 2022 Shelter Week — without the shelter part of the week, again!
Cass Community Social Services is still serving the homeless, and we still want to support that work, so we plan to provide Shelter Week meals from Saturday, Jan. 22 through Saturday, Jan. 29 in the same manner as 2021.
That means that we’ll be providing three meals a day for those seven days. Instead of having 50 homeless men and women at GPUMC, we’ll deliver meals for 50 people to the Scott Center at Cass.
Several groups within the church will be preparing dinners to be delivered: the Witness committee, the Outreach committee, and UMW fellowship groups. We will also buy and deliver meals from local restaurants for any nights when we aren’t preparing meals on our own.
We will collect all the food and necessary supplies for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks and deliver those to Cass.
Here’s how you can help:
- Sign up to buy food and paper goods that will be needed during Shelter Week. Nonperishables must be purchased and delivered by January 16 (GPUMC or 86 Willow Tree Place) and perishables January 18-20 to 86 Willow Tree Place, GPS.
- Sign up to donate funds to underwrite the cost of buying other needed food items during Shelter Week. These donations can be made through our online giving portal or send a check to GPUMC with notation for Shelter Week (Outreach acct. 3051).
- Volunteer to work on a crew assembling lunches for Shelter Week. This work will be done at church by individuals who are wearing masks and respecting physical distance guidelines. With more details coming in 2022. Contact Chuck Day or Ashley Deeb.
- Volunteer to drive hot meals or other food items to Cass during Shelter Week.
- Cass is also seeking a limited list of goods to help them support Shelter Weeks throughout the winter. They have created an Amazon wish list where you can order and have items sent directly to Cass.
- Pray for the men and women served by our work and members of our congregation who are organizing us for this service.
Reach out to Beth Blunden (email@example.com/313-319-2076) or any member of the Outreach committee (Tamara Baubie, Chuck Day, Ashley Deeb, Kathy Gardner, Diana Sancya, Kate Sicklesteel, Lisa Sicklesteel, Mary Ellen Lewandowski, Diana Crosby) if you have questions or suggestions about this year’s project.